Earlier this week, Simon Chiu watched Snapchat’s team put on an IPO presentation for investors in San Francisco. He was surrounded by investment bankers from firms like Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs.
“It was a little bit of fish out of water for me,” Chiu told CNNTech. “I’m an educator. It’s not what I do.”
Chiu is the president of Saint Francis High School in Mountain View, California. The Catholic school just happens to be one of the first investors in Snapchat (SNAP).
Five years ago, Saint Francis invested $15,000 in Snapchat. After the company’s blockbuster public offering Thursday, that stake is likely worth millions.
The unusual deal came about thanks to a few students who were obsessed with the app — and one curious parent who happened to be a venture capitalist.
Barry Eggers, founder of Lightspeed Venture Partners, came home from work one day to find his daughter Natalie and her friends staring at their phones and laughin g.
Best Gold Stocks To Own For 2017: Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc.(INO)
- [By Ben Levisohn]
Shares of Inovio Pharmaceuticals(INO) are climbing today after the biotech company announced that it would begin testing a Zika vaccine in Puerto Rico. Maxim’sJason McCarthy andJason Kolbert have the details:
CREDIT: Alex Wild Published Credit: Alex Wild Alex Wild
Inovio announced the initiation of a small clinical study (N=160) of its Zika vaccine, GLS-5700 (being developed with GeneOne Life Sciences), in Puerto Rico. It is estimated by the CDC that the Zika virus could infect more than 25% of the population of Puerto Rico by YE16.The study will evaluate safety, immunogenicity and early signs of efficacy in preventing Zika infection. Data are expected in 2017, and if positive, Inovio will discuss with regulators the best path forward.
In addition, the phase I study of GLS-5700 (N=40) in the U.S. and Canada, which is the first in-human Zika vaccine study, is now fully enrolled. Data evaluating safety and immunogenicity are expected by YE16.
Conclusion. With the Zika virus spreading, including to the U.S., there remains an urgent need for a vaccine. Inovio continues to demonstrate that the company’s DNA-based vaccine approach is safe and can rapidly transition to human studies.
Shares of Inovio Pharmaceuticalshave gained 4.3% to $9.24 at 2:50 p.m. today, while the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB) has dipped 0.3% to $284.29.
- [By William Patalon III]
In a Private Briefing report in late July, we told you that tiny biotech Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq: INO) had dosed its first patient in a Phase I clinical study to evaluate its synthetic vaccine for the Zika virus.
- [By Keith Speights]
A quick analysis of Inovio Pharmaceuticals’ (NASDAQ:INO) stock performance history shows plenty of twists and turns — from the company’s early biomedical days to its recent advances in developing a Zika virus vaccine. But this chart shows the story hasn’t been great for investors.
Best Gold Stocks To Own For 2017: Lincoln National Corporation(LNC)
- [By WWW.THESTREET.COM]
* The market bent yesterday but today it stabilized. (A good showing, all things being considered–but in no way decisive going forward).
* Gold +$5/oz.
* Crude oil +$0.50 and the rise is taking up some energy stocks.
* The Russell returned to the spotlight.
* Life insurance–particularly Lincoln National (LNC) (on an upgrade). Hartford Financial Services (HIG) gets a small lift.
* Retail returned from the depths. The standouts–L Brands (LB) , Kohl’s (KSS) , Bed Bath (BBBY) , Nordstrom (JWN) and Gap (GPS) .
* Ag equipment–after an analyst upgrade yesterday.
* Homebuilders catch a bid.
* Day one of the Masters Golf Tournament.
- [By Lee Jackson]
Lincoln National Corp. (NYSE: LNC) also had the man at the top selling stock last week. Dennis Glass, the CEO of this insurance and retirement focused company, sold a block of 75,000 shares at between $71.00 and $71.28 apiece. The total for the sale was posted at $5 million. Shares closed Friday at $71.69, in a 52-week rangeof $34.16 to $73.71. The consensus price target is $73.17.
Best Gold Stocks To Own For 2017: Newell Rubbermaid Inc.(NWL)
- [By Ben Levisohn]
On a market cap weighted basis,Wal-Mart trades at a discount to the average of a group of large-cap consumer staples companies (Coca-Cola (KO), PepsiCo (PEP), Newell Brands (NWL), Procter & Gamble (PG), and Colgate-Palmolive (CL) – covered by Morgan Stanley Analyst Dara Mohsenian). Wal-Mart’s FTM relative P/E multiple is currently 0.76x vs. the 0.89x average over the last 15 years.
- [By Ben Levisohn]
Last week, Tiffany (TIF) CFO Ralph Nicolettileft the luxury retailer for Newell Brands (NWL). Wells Fargo’s Ike Boruchow and team argued that Nicoletti’s departure is “an untimely distraction” for a stock that can’t afford one:
- [By Shauna O’Brien]
Newell Rubbermaid Inc. (NWL) announced on Wednesday that it has finalized the sale of its Hardware business.
The sale, which was first reported on August 9, was completed on Wednesday. Nova Capital has acquired NWL’s Hardware business which includes the Amerock, Ashland, Bulldog and Shur-Line brands.
NWL will receive approximately $175 million in after-tax proceeds from the sale.
Newell Rubbermaid shares were mostly flat during pre-market trading Wednesday. The stock has increased 18% YTD.
Best Gold Stocks To Own For 2017: iShares MSCI All Peru Capped ETF (EPU)
- [By Todd Shriber, ETF Professor]
ARGT, the lone exchange traded fund dedicated to Argentine equities, is up 19.6 percent year-to-date. That is good for the second-best showing among Latin America single-country ETFs, trailing only the iShares MSCI Capped Peru Index Fund (NYSE: EPU).
- [By Andrew Efimoff] Related Some Positive Indexing News For A Frontier Markets ETF Why The Frontier Markets ETF Slumped Last Year Status Quo Decisions Would Bode Well For PAK ETF (Seeking Alpha) Related EPU Peru ETF Confronts Politics Commodities Call For The Colombia ETF Gra帽a Y Montero May Have Peaked In 2016 (Seeking Alpha) Gainers Pakistan: Global XMSCI Pakistan ETF (NYSE: PAK) is up 5.67 percent after receiving MSCI’s Emerging Markets Index approval. Peru: iShares MSCI All Peru Capped Index Fund(NYSE: EPU) is up 2.15 percent after Kuzynski won Peru’s nail-biting election. Philippines: iShares MSCI Philippines Investable(NYSE: EPHE) is up 2.21 percent after Macquarie Research said President Elect Rodrigo Duterte would lift the Pilipino property market. India: iShares MSCI India ETF (NYSE: INDA) is up 1.96 percent after India’s government relaxed regulation, making it easier for domestic airlines to fly overseas.
Related Link: Some Positive Indexing News For A Frontier Markets ETF
Best Gold Stocks To Own For 2017: Transcontinental Realty Investors, Inc.(TCI)
- [By Lisa Levin]
In trading on Wednesday, financial shares fell 0.23 percent. Meanwhile, top losers in the sector included Transcontinental Realty Investors Inc (NYSE: TCI), down 14 percent, and Citizens, Inc. (NYSE: CIA), down 5 percent.
- [By Lee Jackson]
Transcontinental Realty Investors Inc. (NYSE: TCI) saw itschief executive officerpurchasing stock last week. Daniel Moos bought a block of 285,000 shares at $10.60 apiece. The trade cost himright at $3 million.The company acquires, develops and owns residential and commercial real estate properties through acquisitions, leases and partnerships in the United States. Its shares closed Friday at $11.48.
Best Gold Stocks To Own For 2017: Federal Agricultural Mortgage Corporation(AGM)
- [By Shanthi Rexaline]
Federal Agricultural Mortgage Corp. (NYSE: AGM): +233 percent since 2011.
Notwithstanding the drought, seed companies and agri-produce companies have fared well. The performance of pesticide and fertilizer companies were mixed during the period.